Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Thanking God at Spy Rock


September, 2007


The summer after college graduation, I moved back to Richmond to get my bearings, look for a job, and heal from the hiking injury I'd suffered the previous winter at Spy Rock in Nelson County, VA. In retrospect, it was a fairly typical hiking injury. Essentially, runner's knee, only a really aggravated case. I had been doing everything wrong. I wasn't wearing supportive footwear (ie. sturdy-soled boots or even stiff trail runners); I wasn't using trekking poles; and I was carrying 40+ pounds in an external frame too big for my torso! I was making every big mistake in the book. Unfortunately, some of these basic (yet essential) tasks get left out in Boy Scouts... Or, knowing the attentiveness of a teenager, they went in one ear and out the other. Either way, I was in bad shape 4 years down the road.

I hadn't been hiking since my injury. At times, it still hurt to walk, and if I bent my knees beyond a 90 degree angle, I could feel the cartilage grinding against my patellas. Not enjoyable. I feared I would never hike or run again. Looking back, I certainly overreacted. But I didn't know what was going on with my joints; I wasn't educated to understand these things. I prayed and prayed to God, begging him to heal me, so I could explore the mountains again. I didn't understand how He could give me such an amazing gift, only to take it away.

I went through 2 months of physical therapy, where I learned the extent of my injury and found hope in hard work and the basic knowledge that, sooner or later, I would hike again. Especially because I wanted to so badly.

In September of that year, I went on two solo hikes. The first was a day hike to Cold Mountain, VA, a beautiful bald along the Appalachian Trail (featured at left). It was my first hike alone and my first hike since my accident. I experienced only a little pain and began to understand that all hikers will eventually become friendly with knee pain, in some shape or form, whether they like it or not. It simply comes with the territory. After Cold Mountain, I was back, and I was excited.

For my next trip, I decided to return to Spy Rock. For some reason, it seemed fitting to return there, and I had been unable to enjoy the vista, since I'd been in such pain. I wanted to return and see it through clear eyes this time. It would also mark my first (and only, thus far) solo over-nighter. I remember being slightly apprehensive, wondering if I would run into any 'weirdos' or freak myself out at night. It turned out the Appalachian Trail was a highway of hikers that weekend, and I was hardly alone. I ended up sharing a campsite with a really nice fellow close to my own age and his Labrador Retriever, Lucy. Sadly, the guy's name, 2 years later, escapes me. Go figure. Still, we shared a campfire that night and talked about the outdoors and God. Turns out, he (and probably his dog; she was really cool, although she helped herself to my dinner) was a Christian.



Over the course of my weekend away, it occurred to me that God might have briefly taken my ability to hike so that when it was restored - through hard work, determination, and reliance on Him - my appreciation for the mountains and His creation would be that much stronger. And as always, God would be ever more glorified.



So now, I look back on that difficult time, and I thank God for guiding me through it. I thank Him for showing me His faithfulness in a unique way, so that I could understand and really believe He is good and means best for me. And I thank Him for making His Creation new to me all over again.

Like a good father, God always finds a way to care for His children.

3 comments:

  1. This is an excellent blog Evan, clear and concise. I would like to see you flush it out into a full length article and submit to a Christian publication. Two options: I have Christian Writers Market from 2008 and The Record Herald is publishing a new Christian publication called Footsteps. I think you should consider it and I will help you edit if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, okay! i'll call you in the next couple days and we'll talk about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can assure you that we covered "proper footwear for the event"...so I vote for "knowing the attentiveness of a teenager, they went in one ear and out the other"...HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Tray

    ReplyDelete