Sunday, April 19, 2009

Return to Pilot Mountain!



April, 2009


This year marked my first Easter holiday spent away from Richmond, my hometown. Rather than make the long trip home, I invited my parents to come visit in Winston-Salem, and they gladly accepted. Since the Sauratown Mountains have provided me great joy ever since my move to North Carolina, I just had to give my parents a taste of "Jomeokee," Pilot Mountain!

It was a beautiful day, albeit slightly overcast at times. Crowds of people took their turn admiring Pilot Mountain from Little Pinnacle Overlook, which is easily accessed from the upper parking lot. My father, a professional photographer, was entranced by the staggering monadnok, raptors circling overhead. And if I'm not mistaken, this short visit also marked the first time I have shared a mountain view with my parents, which I find both surprising and exciting.

Unsurprisingly, on our way up the mountain, on a narrow, winding road, my parents both asked me to slow down, citing the lack of guard rails and feelings of dizziness. At first, it struck me as funny, because I've come so accustomed to these dangerous mountain roads, but then I realized it was a less familiar experience to them, so I slowed down, and frankly, if I had kept up that pace, I probably would have made myself sick, even!

The next day - Easter - I returned to Pilot Mountain with Amy! It was her first visit there, as well, and our first hike together. When we arrived, the parking lot was so full we had to circle around nearly 5 times before we found a spot. Maneuvering our way through the crowds of people, we made our way down the Ledge Spring Trail, stopping here and there to admire the sprawling, southern view of the Piedmont Plateau. We could clearly see the Winston-Salem skyline, and, in the distance, Greensboro, faint but visible.

On our way down the mountain, we encountered dozens of rock climbers, as it was a perfect day to be in the great outdoors. Stopping now and then to catch our breath and watch, we saw everything from climbers dangling precariously from ledges to dangling uncontrollably from their ropes. One climber in particular was most amusing to watch, as he kept getting tangled in his ropes. When he finally made it to the ledge, we clapped for him, and his friend on belay yelled up to him, "Didn't know you had an audience, did ya?" He seemed a little embarrassed but relieved to be in control again and anxious to come down.

Halfway through our hike, we came across a shining wet rock face, cool mountain water drizzling from above like a natural shower, which offered some refreshment from the afternoon warmth. We stopped momentarily, then went on our way. Soon afterward, we crossed from the Ledge Spring to the Jomeokee Trail. Pilot Mountain, obscured behind the trees, towered in front of us. It was Amy's first up close view of the peak. By this point, Amy was starting to get the hang of her trekking poles, and we had each taken turns carrying the day pack at least 3 times, the source of a funny little debate over who should be the one carrying it.

The Jomeokee Trail, which gets its name from the Saura Indians, circles Pilot Mountain, offering spectacular views of the towering rock walls that make it such a noteworthy land form. The trail itself is covered with signs of water erosion, such as scattered pockmarks, slithering indentions, and narrow ditches engraved in the rock. Through the vegetation, hikers can also glimpse views of Hanging Rock, Saura Mountain, and Moore's Knob to the east.

At one point, Amy and I saw the raptors soaring overhead and stopped to take photos. They all turned out blurry, but these birds are a sight to see. There must have been at least twenty hawks flying around the mountain that afternoon! In fact, it is because of the raptors that rock climbers are no longer allowed on Pilot Mountain. Climbing is limited to the walls along the Ledge Spring Trail so the raptors can thrive unhindered. In the past, excessive climbing and exposure have threatened their survival.

Amy and I eventually made it all the way around Pilot Mountain, coming back to the parking lot where we started. But we had yet to get a clear view of the mountain, so we ventured to the overlook, where we got a pristine view of the mighty Pilot, a beacon from afar. The Saura Indians originally named it Jomeokee, which means "pilot," because it was a landmark they could use for navigational purposes. Often, it would guide them home.

At the overlook, we offered to take a photo of an older couple, who then offered to take our picture, so that worked out well, and if we're honest, that's kind of what we had hoped they would do! In retrospect, it seems fitting that we would spend Easter afternoon on a mountain, inhaling the fresh air and admiring the grandeur of God's creation. Pilot Mountain is a natural marvel, a mountain that was literally shaped out of the earth by the hands of God.

Overall, it was an amazing weekend. I got to see my parents! Amy and I finally had our hike! And it was Easter, so praise God for His goodness and the gift of salvation!

2 comments:

  1. A new post at last, I look forward to reading it after I get back from helping old folks at the senior center learn to play Wii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm really enjoying looking at this website especially the movies, Aunt Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete