Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Plight in Pennsylvania: An Appalachian Adventure


June, 2008


"What would Bear Grylls do? He would survive! He would make a fire...out of nothing!" These are the words I chant to myself as I repeatedly strike my flint and steel over soggy tinder. I've been at it for a while now, and my back is aching from all the bending over. The humidity finally gets the better of me; the fire will not light. My head sags in defeat. From the Deerlick Shelter, Matt (my friend and fellow adventurer) jots down some notes for his newspaper article on the Appalachian Trail and the funny nomads who endeavor to explore it.

We have journeyed to the AT near Waynesboro, Pennsylvania, this hot and stifling June weekend, for a backpacking adventure for the sake of documenting it in the local newspaper Matt writes for, The Record Herald. So far, we have traveled roughly 5 miles over rugged terrain, stopping once for a water and snack break, where we encounter a deer-fox, meaning we cannot tell the difference. Matt and I got off to a late start, so this is as far as we'll go today, and it is just as well, because literally minutes after we pitch our tents, dark clouds close in above us and unleash a torrent like we've never seen before. Forced to take shelter in our respective tents, we wait out the storm. But it only gets worse as darkness descends, and we start to worry not only about flooding but being struck by lightning. One lightning burst after another flashes across my tent, sending tremors through the ground strong enough to wake the dead. Just when we think it can't get any worse, a streak of electric energy slams into the earth a mere 50 yards away. It is so strong and startling, Matt and I howl in enthusiastic horror - enthusiastic because it's kind of cool, horror because we could die. After the weather's final and most violent demonstration, the rain dies down, and we can finally relax.

We wake early, eat a semi-decent breakfast - depending on who you ask - pack up quickly, and hit the trail ahead of the hot temperatures we'll later endure. Already, though, it is disgustingly humid, thanks to the rainfall the night before. Our shirts cling to our skin like paper mache'. We press on, covering a lot of miles. Over the course of the whole trip, we will hike somewhere between 12 and 15 miles. Early on, we cross several streams and train tracks, leading us to Penmar Park, a notable destination along the way, offering a stellar view of the Pennsylvania countryside. There, we rest and recharge, eating a typical "trail lunch" of crackers, summer sausage, and trail mix. During our hiatus, we speak with several hikers, who warn us of the rocky terrain ahead. We should have paid closer attention.

Later, Matt and I stagger up the mountainside, plagued by the intense heat and humidity. To make matters worse, we are nearly out of water (and there are no more streams to be found), and, indeed, this is one of the rockiest trails we have ever set foot on! The elevation gain is unbelievable, and we feel the pull of our packs as we ascend, one tired foot after another.

Soon, I am at the end of my rope. I have been dehydrated like this before, and it is a scary situation to be in, yet again. Amazingly, it takes me by surprise. I should have been more wary, knowing my past experience with heat exhaustion, but this time around not even all the water on the AT could have prevented it. This is why humidity is so dangerous. It will suck the water out of you faster than you can drink it.

Matt, better off than me, makes sure I get enough rest and even shares with me what little water he has left. By now, it's really hot out. We are close to High Rock, our next destination, from where we will supposedly have another mile and a half to go. But when we arrive at High Rock, a massive boulder jutting out of the mountainside, we make our decision.

This adventure has taken it out of us (me mostly, to be honest). We are satisfied with High Rock and make it our final destination, calling Matt's folks to pick us up. While we wait, we enjoy the view, noticing Pennsylvania's unique "patchwork" landscape of farms and meadows. High Rock is a popular destination and easily accessed by road, so we are not alone. Matt tells me how, years before, a young woman fell to her death after venturing too close to the edge. Later, as we descend High Rock by way of car, we count our blessings.

While our backyard exploits fail to merit a hit show on the Discovery Channel, we are pretty sure Bear Grylls would be proud of us. We have endured a freak lightning storm, life-draining humidity, painful terrain, and dehydration. And we have lived to tell about it! If you are looking for a challenging adventure, head to the foothills of Pennsylvania. The Appalachian Trail is waiting.

3 comments:

  1. Great story Evan. I love the final paragraph: "While our backyard exploits fail to merit a hit show on the Discovery Channel, we are pretty sure Bear Grylls would be proud of us."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the title, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, good post Evan. I also liked how you called paper mache` "paper machete" ;-)

    I'm also glad you didn't get struck by lightening, although it would be awesome for you to be able to say you survived being struck by lightening.

    ReplyDelete